The tilting pan or the tilting skillet can be termed as the powerhouse of any commercial kitchen. It is a highly versatile piece of equipment that is used in a number of applications in the kitchen. The investment that goes into this equipment is worth every penny spent due to its multi-functionality.
Versatility of the Equipment
The tilting pan can be used for almost any task that has to be done in the kitchen. Foodservice operators use it for cooking, pan-frying, browning, roasting and much more. One has to name the cooking style needed and the tilting skillet is all ready for use. Whether it is cooking stews, soups, pasta, rice or sauces or pan frying food-dishes like fish fillets, donuts, fried chicken or French fries, the skillet does it all. Browning foods or simmering foods in large quantities in it becomes very easy. It can be used as an oven too to roast or bake several poultry or meat varieties of menu items. Steaming, thawing or using it as a griddle to prepare grilled vegetables, burgers, bacon, sausages, pancakes and many more items is another aspect of its functionality.
The tilting skillet comes in several capacities and several finishes. Though normally, it is made of stainless steel, other materials can be used for the cabinet components. One can go in for the countertop models or choose from the ones that rest on the floor. Floor units come with crank or electric tilting mechanisms while those of the countertop models are manual. However, when the tilting skillet is present in the kitchen it is very necessary to have an adequate number of kitchen storage bins and industrial storage bins so that you have ample space for its placement and functioning. Considering its versatility, it is but quite natural to ensure that this workhorse of the kitchen is kept in top shape all through its working life.
Simple tips that will help to extend the working life of this equipment are given below:
- Never use high heat on the skillet when it is empty. Repeated use of high heat will compromise the heating surface or cause warping to occur.
- New tilting skillets have to be seasoned with oil before regular use. The bottom of the skillet has to be covered with oil and heated at few minute intervals as this will help to avoid sticking issues and make for easier cleaning.
- The food debris should be cleaned off from the bottom of the skillet by warming water in it using residual heat.
- Cleaning can be done effectively by using a nylon brush and warm, soapy water. At no times, harsh cleaners or rough materials to be used as this can damage the pan.
- During the cleaning, care has to be taken to ensure that water does not get sprayed on the mechanical components of the equipment.
- It is better to use the appropriate shaped utensils that go with the pan so as to avoid the pitting on the skillet.
The tilting pan is a very important piece of equipment of every commercial kitchen and has to be given the appropriate care and consideration it deserves.